Your Local Healthy Maine Partnership
The Choose To Be Healthy Coalition (CTBH) is a comprehensive community health partnership that works to reduce the incidence of chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer, chronic lung disease and substance abuse. Choose To Be Healthy is funded with tobacco settlement money from the Fund for a Healthy Maine through the Maine Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and a federal Drug Free Communities Support Program. Additional financial and in-kind support comes from federal and state grants, foundations, local organizations and our lead agency, York Hospital.
Choose To Be Healthy is a community health coalition formed in 1999 following the "healthy communities" model that uses on-going community input and assets to address health needs and help our populations most at risk..
The Choose To Be Healthy Coalition is made up of staff and community members who represent all sectors of the community and work in the following groups:
- Advisory Board, led by Coalition Director, Sue Patterson
- Community Health Action Team, led by Coalition Director, Sue Patterson
- Substance Abuse and Youth Assets Action Team, led by Substance Abuse Prevention Coordinator, Sally Manninen
- Youth Assets Initiative, led by Youth Coordinator, Amanda Carey
- Community Partners and Volunteers
- Lead Agency, York Hospital
What We Do
Choose To Be Healthy promotes community-level support of personal and public health. Examples of these supports are healthy nutrition policies for schools and community groups, tobacco-free recreation area policies for towns, indoor winter walking trails in public buildings, and advocating for better parental monitoring practices for under-age alcohol and drug use prevention. Choose To Be Healthy implements a strategic plan to build and support healthy environments in the communities of Berwick, Eliot, Kittery, Lebanon, North Berwick, Ogunquit, South Berwick, Wells and York, Maine.
Staff and members:
- Develop goals and objectives that support our mission and workplans;
- Implement evidence based health promotion and prevention strategies;
- Provide funders, community and coalition members regular reports on progress;
- Provide members with opportunities to learn, network, and build their capacity to plan, implement
and sustain health efforts.
2013, Community Health Needs Assessment~ CTBH worked with York Hospital to complete a Community Health Needs Assessment for Southern York County.
- Lower the % of overweight and obese people in the service area within 5 years;
- Implement Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment (to reduce substance abuse); and,
Promote tobacco cessation services through the physician practices.Read the Southern York County Community Health Needs Assessment to find out more!
- The Healthy Maine Partnership system has more info on our work across the state as well as resources and contact info and to locate other HMPs. The three HMPs in York County share a web site specific to our area at Healthy York County.
- Coalition Director, Sue Patterson 207-351-2658
- Susbtance Abuse Prevention Coordinator, Sally Manninen 207-351-2655
- Community Health Specialist, Natalie Gould 207-351-2662
- Youth Coordinator, Amanda Carey 207-351-2654
- SNAP Nutrition Educator, Caitlin Crane 207-351-8688
- Parent Outreach, Lynne Hatch 207-351-2656
- Prescription Monitoring Program, Margie Carley 207-351-2660
- Advisory Board Chair, Anne Borden
2 Hospital Dr, Suite 2B, York, ME
15 Hospital Dr, York, ME 03909